Monday, September 3, 2007

Laboring on Labor Day

As a young kid, Labor Day weekend always marked the return of school. I was never really a fan of labor day as a kid because of this, but now, as a graduate student, labor day means one thing....Laboring. Yes, work on Labor Day Monday (for the past 6 years) has always meant a day at work either teaching classes, taking classes or just plain old research. Sadness.


OK, enough complaining. Since it is the end of summer, I figured I would sum up my top ten movies of the past summer. This summer seemed to be much better than past summers in my mind. There were some great movies and a lot of good movies. Here are my favorites starting with number ten. Again, the rating is out of four stars like Star Search!


Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer: 2 1/4 stars

This movie was definitely better than the first one and the Silver Surfer character was done quite well. But when you have lines like "Your interaction with the Silver Surfer has affected your molecules"....I mean come on. There were some great action sequences, but compared to other movies this summer, this by far was the worst I saw in theaters.







Live Free or Die Hard: 2 1/2 stars

I actually enjoyed this movie despite the low rating. Maybe because I saw this movie at the drive-in (right after another movie that you will see later in this list, my #1) at 12:30am. Bruce Willis was good, but I didn't like the censorship of F- bombs that I have come to love with Die Hard movies of the past. The action was good, but it just wasn't the Die Hard I so wanted to watch.






Ocean's 13: 2 1/2 stars

Again, this was a good movie and I really enjoyed Clooney, Pitt and Damon. But when I left the theater, I felt like I had seen this movie before.....twice. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this one much more than the second movie, but not quite as much as the first.








The Bourne Ultimatum: 2 3/4 stars

I loved the first two of this trilogy. Matt Damon is great in all three, but again, I felt as if I saw this movie before. Nothing too new in this movie. The action was fantastic and the story was well done, but if I tried to describe this movie, I believe people would say "Oh, you're talking about the Bourne Conspiracy."









The Simpsons Movie: 2 3/4 stars

I am probably one of the biggest fans of the Simpsons. But to charge $9 to see just a long episode was ridiculous. Good thing I had a free movie pass! Don't get me wrong, it had many moments where I was cracking up (my favorite was when Homer shot the double bird to Springfield). It was OK, but no more than a 2hr long Simpsons episode.








Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: 2 3/4 stars



I know I'll never hear the end of it, but this movie only picked up for me at the end when Harry and Dumbledore's Army fought the Death Eaters. Oh, and Ginny is so damn cute. After reading the books, I definitely can't wait for the final two to come out, but this movie (like all summer blockbusters) failed to live up to the hype. Nonetheless, a good movie.




Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End: 2 3/4 stars

There are a lot of movies that I rated 2 3/4 stars this summer. This movie was good, the last hour was nothing but action and adventure. However, the damn movie was so long. I loved the second Pirates movie and was expecting a lot more of the third one. I felt they focused too much on Keira Knightly (I know I'm crazy, but let me finish) becoming a pirate. A good movie to see, but not as good as the first two.





Spiderman 3: 3 stars

Almost no one will agree with me on this one. I really enjoyed Spiderman 3. Of course it could have been better, but I really enjoyed the transformation of nice, geeky Peter Parker to the evil, self centered bastard he became once the symbiont attached to him. Good action, definitely corny at times (you know the bar scene) and I no longer can stand Mary Jane Watson screaming. Save your damn self!!! Still a favorite movie of mine.






SuperBad: 3 1/4 stars

As I stated in a previous blog, this movie was just outright funny. For nearly 2hrs, I found myself laughing at some of the dialogue between the three high school kids. Oh, and I love Mclovin!













Transformers: 3 1/2 stars

By far my favorite movie of the summer. I really went in with low expectations. I though they would screw this movie up completely. However, the story was good, the actors were good, and the action was freaking amazing. And to hear the old Optimus Prime speak once more, I nearly wet myself (I know I am a geek). A fantastic action packed movie that I loved from start to finish. Oh, and the girl was really hot in that movie!!!

2 comments:

Sneks said...

Of the movies I saw with you, I agree that Transformers was the best! But I also love going to the drive-in (with my RyGuy), so that may have biased my choice!

Anonymous said...

It's been a week since a blog update. This is bush league. How about a fun little post about the start of the NFL season and last second kicks that won football games?